Congratulations On Your New Equine Friend!
But before you bring your new pet home, there’s plenty to consider. Here are some steps you should take as you welcome your horse.
- Complete any necessary ownership transfers for breed organizations.
- Request documentation from the previous owner about the horse’s health history and vaccination record. Verify with your veterinarian that vaccinations are up to date.
- Ask the horse’s current barn manager or owner about the horse’s feed. Try to find a comparable feed to make the transition as easy as possible. Also, make sure you have plenty of hay, tack and grooming supplies.
- Clear pastures and barns of any clutter or items that could injure your horse.
- Separate new horses from your current horses to help gradually introduce the new horse and to protect current horses from contracting diseases.